Along with the portrait assignments we were asked to edit the portraits that I took. There were a few different edits that we could choose from, and I did all of them.
Lumo; May 31, 2010; 5:10 pm; Rexburg Temple; f 2.8, 1/50; Canon Rebel XS; 28 mm
This edit is called the lumonisty effect. It is an effect from a photoshop guru that shows some cool and fun effects. This edit you take the highlights and shadows in a channel then do some fun things to create the image above. What is also fun, the original image can be cropped in more because you are only making a selection and it doesn’t distort the pixels.
This is the original image before it was cropped down and given the Lumo effect. What a difference huh?
Above; May 29, 2010; 6:22 pm; Idaho Falls Temple; f 1.4, 1/2000; Canon Rebel XS; 50 mm
The other day we had some friends that we took some bridal and wedding shots of, even though it had been a few years since they were married. We did it to get some experience and just try new things. Always fun to do when you can. I like this photo because of the really shallow depth of field. The edits I did with this one was brighten the eyes and teeth; also I evened the skin. The following image is the original and you can see the difference.
Tie; May 31, 2010; 5:31 pm; Rexburg Temple; f 5.0, 1/50; Canon Rebel XS; 50 mm
Another edit we were required to do was to take an element of the image and change it into a different color using color replace. Well I decided to do it to his tie because it was the brightest color in the photo. Changing the tie color actually changed the lips and other skin elements so I had to mask out everything besides the tie. The original image is below.
Match Color; May 31, 2010; 3:22 pm; Rexburg Temple; f 3.5, 1/400; Canon Rebel XS; 50 mm
This last edit, we were supposed to match the color from one picture to another. I think this is a good skill to learn, but I don’t really know when I will use it besides trying to combine two images. I personally don’t like doing that much stuff in photoshop but I also know you get some strange request some times. I had a little trouble to get the image to look somewhat similar but eventually did it. The image above is matched to the image below. Also the last image in this post is the original.